Wednesday, October 05, 2005

George Bush's greatest political sin...

Townhall.com :: Columns :: Miers is the wrong pick by George Will: "In addition, the president has forfeited his right to be trusted as a custodian of the Constitution. The forfeiture occurred March 27, 2002, when, in a private act betokening an uneasy conscience, he signed the McCain-Feingold law expanding government regulation of the timing, quantity and content of political speech. The day before the 2000 Iowa caucuses he was asked -- to insure a considered response from him, he had been told in advance he would be asked -- whether McCain-Feingold's core purposes are unconstitutional. He unhesitatingly said, ``I agree.'' Asked if he thought presidents have a duty, pursuant to their oath to defend the Constitution, to make an independent judgment about the constitutionality of bills and to veto those he thinks unconstitutional, he briskly said, ``I do.''"


Now, you know I am a fan of GWB. But this, in my book, will go down as his worst decision. Whatever you and I might think about Harriet Miers, the Constitution was undermined by Bush when he signed McCain-Feingold.

It may seem that I am unswerving in my praise for GWB. Hardly. It's just that the left (read: MSM) never critiques him with anything I can agree with. If the left would criticize Bush for McCain-Feingold, overspending, and lax border security, then I'd have something to blog with. But all you hear is how Iraq is the worst possible calamity to befall the human race since Moses was wearing short pants. Silly.

Our democracy is in trouble because we lack a serious opposition party.

No comments:

Interesting Stuff