Saturday, October 14, 2006

Mel Gibson for Republican Minority Leader

Instapundit.com: "At the end of this process, the Republicans have managed to leave every segment of the base unhappy, mostly over things that weren't even all that important. It's as if they had some sort of bizarre death wish. Looks like the wish will come true . . . .

As I've said before, the Republicans deserve to lose, though alas the Democrats don't really deserve to win, either."
This post has a nice run down of the missteps of the Republican congress and Bush Administration. Pretty depressing. And then you think of the alternative. I'm guessing I know which way Al Qaeda, North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, Russia and China hope the election will go.

Speaking of death wishes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhh, I dunno. Democrats are certainly the "dangerous party", and all tooooooo often, Republicans the "stupid party", but sometimes I think the "death wish" is with Republican critics more than the Party. Paleos I think, live with the great desire to "go down with the ship" and just as the ship of Western Civilization goes under, they can be tragic heros who die with "I told you so" on their lips. Being tragic heros is far more important that making any headway. Reagan's greatest, or at least as great enemies, were the paleos (they were as much opponents as liberals, oddly). They could hardly wait for Reagan to fail, and it took years to forgive him for succeeding. There is a deep masochistic desire to justify oneself by being betrayed. Conservative critics love, luv, luv, luv, to feel betrayed. It is so delicious. Petty failings and even large ones, are not utterly unforgivable in war and in families. I'm not so sure that the public is soooooooo stupid as to vote liberals in now, just so the pure critics can enjoy the delicious feeling of "once more having been betrayed." We'll see, but I am not so pessimistic about election day. The Neville Chamberlin Party is pretty broadly seen for what they are, really I think. I don't hold out so much hope for the Party of Doom, the allies of Islamo fascism and stupidity and even evil in the world...

Interesting Stuff