Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Great Ministry Opportunity for the Church

The Suburban Christian: As I just said in the comments to my previous post, when I was researching my suburbs book, I came across the statistic that 46% of people living below the poverty line live in the suburbs. And that figure is a few years old, so it doesn't surprise me that it's higher now. (I looked around the Census Bureau's site to see if I could find the report or news release about suburban poverty now being higher than urban poverty, but I couldn't find it offhand.) As Bob Lupton said in his book Renewing the City, "Poverty is suburbanizing."


He makes a great suggestion of suburban churches developing ministry to needy people through caring for and providing cars. Makes sense.

No comments:

Interesting Stuff