Friday, September 24, 2004

Wimbledon (2004)

Normally I wouldn't see a movie like this on the big screen but circumstances materialized creating a kind of perfect storm. The McWife and I got out last night for the first time in a long time. We got out late and rushed to the movie theatre. We didn't know what was playing, so after scanning the movies that had already started I narrowed it down to Resident Evil: Apocalypse and of course, Wimbledon.

My wife is not keen on any move that has 'evil' in the title and she just took up tennis so I resisted my urge to veto any movie and ponied up darn near 20 bones to see Wimbledon.

If you've seen The Karate Kid then you've seen Wimbledon. Except the part of Mr. Miyagi is played by a nubile Kirsten Dunst. Actually a better comparison would be to For the Love of the Game. (come to think of it, Tin Cup and Bull Durham follow essentially the same storyline) Except this one is about Tennis and not baseball.

I heard from a screenwriter that there are two reasons that movies are rejected by Hollywood executives: 1) That movie has been done before. 2) That movie isn't like anything we've ever seen. So in order to get a movie made, your pitch has to show how your movie idea is just like some other movie that made big money, only different.

So Wimbledon follows in the great tradition of feel good, shallow, sports related romance movies. And if that's what your into then you'll enjoy Wimbledon. Or if you're into tennis you might enjoy it (or hate it because it's not realistic enough). Some of the tennis sequences are surprising in their camera work and choreography. Let's face it, I know what I hate and I didn't hate this movie. Shallow yes but still a bit fun to splash around in.

My Rating: On The Plane

No comments:

Interesting Stuff