Thursday, March 03, 2005

Fight Club?: Teens Leaping For Thrills In 'Garage Jumping' Trend

local6.com - Problem Solvers - Teens Leaping For Thrills In 'Garage Jumping' Trend: "ORLANDO, Fla. -- Teenagers in Orlando, Fla., are leaping between 80-foot high public parking garages in a new trend called 'garage jumping,' according to a Local 6 News investigation.

Local 6 News reported that the thrill seekers are vaulting themselves between garages in downtown Orlando.

Tim Bargfrede told Local 6 News that he was following friends when he attempted to garage jump and did not make it to the other side. Bargfrede fell six stories and was knocked unconscious on impact.

'I just didn't make it,' Bargfrede said.

Bargfrede survived the 80-foot fall but was injured.

'The first time I came to the garage after my son's accident, I looked over and I just about broke out in tears,' the boy's father Tim Bargfrede said. 'I can't believe he actually survived. He looked like he was near death.'

'He (Bargfrede) is not he first person, he is not the second person, there have been four or five other individuals before him that did this,' family's attorney Vincent D'Assaro said."


I've said for years that Fight Club is the most profound film ever made on modern masculinity and it's problems. Young men with no purpose for their manhood will find foolish places to deposit their courage and strength. I think this story illustrates the point of the film:
" We're the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives."

I think 9-11 may have changed this condition for some but clearly not for all.

No comments:

Interesting Stuff